Sunday, January 15, 2017

Yule Log 2017


Another year, another cold winter, and another Yule Log cake. This is a vanilla bisquit filled with a dark chocolate whipped ganache, frosted with coffee-flavored Italian buttercream. I made the traditional meringue mushrooms, and jazzed them up this year, with my attempt at five different species: Trametes versicolor, Amanita muscaria, Cortinarius iodes, Agaicus campestris, and Cantharellus cibarius. I ended up using colored candy melts for the colors and details, and the pine needle base was green candy covered All Bran cereal.



2 comments:

PepperReed said...

Wow! That's pretty spectacular! The mushrooms especially look great and I'll be it was delicious (but don't mind me if I don't sample that Amanita...).

Anonymous said...

Dear Robert, Karen and Gillian, I'm totally smitten with your fabulous Yule Log. I've never seen a better or more beautiful one on the internet. Long time ago I made several times a Bûche de Noël - in Germany we use this French name for it - for my sons birthday in late December but it wasn't half as nice and interesting as yours. I like your blog and I'm so impressed by these big mushrooms that you can find in your country. Unfortunately I've forgotten all that I had known about mushrooms when I had been a child. But I want to learn that again and actually I'm looking for someone who can teach me mushroom hunting again. Good luck for you three foragers.